Thursday, October 16, 2008

Intuition is Power

The idea behind Commoner Health is a commoner (a non-practitioner) talking about health issues from her own experience so far, as well as the hope to make health more common in the world.

In my own personal experience, I have found that a large majority of people leave the fate of their health "to the experts" while ignoring their own instincts and intuitions. The knowledge and wisdom of health practitioners is invaluable, (I do not mean to imply otherwise) but alongside this wisdom, I am seeking to promote the wisdom and power that exists within each of us. I encourage deep self-exploration, as well as seeking out information that can greatly benefit one's own health, information that quite often is waiting readily at our fingertips, whether the origin be a book, a website, a practitioner, or within.

Over the years, I have experienced various physical and emotional health issues. By exploring elements of nutrition, herbalism, homeopathy, exercise, and lifestyle, I have gained a great deal of information and insight for my own personal health and happiness. My intention is to share some of this knowledge with you, as well as hoping to initiate discussion about these issues. I would love to offer or receive insight from people who may wish to examine their own health in a similar fashion, and see what comes up!

I have found that the most challenging parts of searching for balance in my own personal health and happiness is doing it alone, without the help of my greater community. Often times some ailments that I suffered from felt scary, and resulted in feelings of loneliness and isolation. Every time I have sought advice or counsel, or personal support, it felt like the entire universe opened up, and that everything was going to be okay. It is my hope that people experiencing similar feelings in particular might benefit from this post. I will post blogs about herbs I have tried, which have succeeded and which have not, foods that worked for me and why, and therapeutic results that I have found.

Thanks so much for reading, and I hope to hear from you soon!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

This is awesome Rachel! Thanks for your insights... I look forward to hearing more about some of your results!

Rachel Leber said...

thanks, daniella! woo hoo! it's so exciting to have started a blog! have been thinking about it for weeks now, so i finally decided to do something about it!

jill said...

rachel, this will be wonderful! i think a lot of times people feel the need to keep their health issues very private and deal w/ them in a very stoic manner, which works for some people, but then there's also kind of this experience of suffering in silence (not to be too overly dramatic) but you know what i mean--like you mentioned, it can feel isolating and frustrating. i think it's great that you're creating a forum for people to share their experiences and insight about an issue that affects EVERYONE :) *jill

Rachel Leber said...

Thanks so much, Jill! I hope you continue to read, and share! :)

Seth Braun said...

Great Rachel, health in dialogue, so important to own health on our own and not to let ourselves rely on some external expert.
The journey, when shared, becomes informative. Keep it up!

nic said...

super cool, rachel! this feels like a lovely, practical continuation of some of the things we all talked about on OB - how to stay in tune with our bodies and improve wellness. i'm currently trying to figure out how to fix some tummy acid unhappiness without too much medicine, so i'll contribute what i learn! off to yoga class... xo, nicole

Rachel Leber said...

Hi Nicole! Thanks so much for your feedback!

In terms of your stomach, I don't know if this will apply to your particular situation, but you might want to try fennel-seed capsules, by Solaray or Nature's Way.

http://www.a1supplements.com/Fennel-
Seeds-450mg-100-Capsules-p-1680.html

They have helped me during my menses, mostly with gas and bloating, but I wonder if this would not also help with acid issues? It's worth a try, as it is cheap, and does not seem to have any averse side-effects. Try your local Trader Joe's or Health Food Store!

beth said...

What a fantastic concept! I look forward to future entries! :) xob

beth said...

any experience with pro-biotics to help with digestive issues?